Monday, February 2, 2009

Second of the Anniversaries

The closet door finally opened up one year ago today. On February 2nd 2008, I said out loud for the first time that, “I am gay!”

Bob, who has been and still is a very good friend and mentor to me, was the first person I told and our conversation went incredibly well. I’m extremely grateful for the support that he showed me during that very difficult conversation, but even more so for what was to come over the next few months.

They say that verbalizing who you are to someone you know makes you real. I believe that. What I can't believe is that it's been 12 months!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on making it a year... the first one is the hardest, the rest will become easier... now go do the big gay thing and celebrate with a cosmo!

Anonymous said...

I told my brother I was gay while we were driving somewhere, he told me to get out of the car!
Saying those words out loud for the first time really made a difference and no matter what his reaction was, I felt totally free.

dan said...

it's been a great year, keep it up bud, later.