Tuesday, January 6, 2009

First of the Anniversaries

It was a year ago today that my life changed. And it all started with this email to a complete stranger.

“I've been a reader of your blog for some time and I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write the blog and share with us the many experiences you've had over the last 2 years. For some of us, and speaking for myself, who don't know anyone in the community, your blog provides a small connection to the community and demonstrates the possibilities to those like myself who haven't quite been completely honest with themselves. So thanks again and I hope your '08 brings you true happiness, health, prosperity, passion, and the love of your life! L’Chaim!”


There was an unintended consequence in sending that email, and that was it exposed my true identity. I completely overlooked how my email was setup, so in truth, today is the day I first came out to somebody other than myself. I freaked out a bit when I received the reply addressing me by my real name. But looking back on it, I’m glad it happened as it happened. Coming out to this complete stranger was obviously a different experience, both meaningfully and emotionally, then coming out to my closest family and friends, but I’m thankful it happened when, and as it did.

So as it turned out, there was no turning back once I hit SEND on January 6, 2008!

And that’s what I’ll celebrate today. The fact that I took the initiative to change my life and it all began with this one email.

Change CAN be good!

3 comments:

JX said...

What a neat story!!

Anonymous said...

Adam,
Love your post today! It is TRUE, change can be good.
Oh, thanks for adding me to your blogroll.

Victor said...

Nice posting. Life certainly takes curious turns at times.