Thursday, June 5, 2008

Runners, take your mark!

You know sometimes I feel like such a fool! I recognize that there is no such blueprint for coming out, especially when I am at a non-traditional age to be doing so, but to think how structured and odd of a plan I have makes me laugh. Sometimes I feel as if I think too much and take myself too seriously. (if you haven't noticed by now I do on both counts) Today I sent the email below to my family and friends. I have led a very demonstrative, controlled, and measured life, and it is my hope that this email gets my family and friends to see me in a different light. (with the career change acting as a metaphor and the impetus for the change in my life) I believe in some ways this will happen because I haven't changed that much over time and this will come as a surprise to many. It is also my hope that this communication acts as a precursor for what is yet to come. Within the body of the email are subtle hints of what my next few months are going to be about. So if my family and friends ever questioned or thought that I was gay, which I'm sure by now some may have wondered, (because I haven't dated since my last girlfriend and I should be a catch) I hope this email will act as a signal to them that if I was ever going to come clean the time is approaching. And so you all know from a time standpoint, it is my goal to formally come out by my next birthday.


Change is never easy, but after 12 years of having an incredible run working full time for 2 Fortune 200 companies and watching many of you with great admiration from near and far take successful chances in your lives and find success, the time has come for me to finally take my chance and stop working for the man and work to become my own. I’ve officially resigned and will be spending the next few months taking some time off, living life, and hopefully enjoying it. I plan on doing a little personal travel, spend more time with Dog (he’s going to be 14 soon and is finally showing signs of age while suffering from cognitive canine dysfunction), continue to train for my next marathon or sprint tri, get back involved in the political process as our nation finds itself in a similar crossroads as it was the last time I got involved and went to Washington (so bring on the banter), and most importantly research some of the many business ideas that I’ve had in the past that some of us have spoken about as well as looking into some other things. It took me long enough, but the bottom line is I’m finally going to lead the life I want to lead and not live the life that has led me over the last few years. With this change out of sales, my existing email of -----@------ will be going away in the coming weeks. I have a new email address, and if you would like to update your address book and migrate over there it is -------@--------. (and no I am not running for Congress just yet, although I may need to establish my own PAC soon-haha) My new cell number is 000-000-0000. I look forward to updating you as things progress but in the meantime, I’m off to the beach. Consider the cycle broken!

L'Chiam!


I believe that some of my family and friends will take this communication literally while others will read more into it. (based on some of the responses so far it's going both ways) Either way, when I look back on this day in September, my gut tells me that I will feel like a fool all over again because this whole thing about being gay will be a non-issue. (since I'm older; time, long term relationships, and I'm a pretty good guy may be the reasons here) If it does turn out like that then I will gladly accept being a gay 'ol happy fool!



Update: The email response from my younger sister. "I just shed a tear reading your email! You have no idea how proud I am of you for all of your hard work and accomplishments. As you said, it is time to live the life you were meant to. I look up to you as a big brother and a role model! You inspire me to do greater things in life. Congrats. I will be out to LA to visit! (Maybe mid July if you are around). Love you lots!" Please pass the kleenex!

No comments: