Sunday, June 1, 2008

The First Talk

Today is the day I begin to open up to my family. The talk that I was hoping to have with them two weeks ago will occur today. This is not planned to be “the talk” but quite honestly I don’t know what it may turn into. I believe my dad sensed something on Wednesday when we spoke. So if somehow they have finally put the pieces together and decide to ask me whether I am gay, well I don’t know how I will answer that. Today’s talk is to outline with my parents that I have left my place of employment and will be setting up a second residence in Southern California. It will also be to discuss with them that I don’t have a structured plan as to how, in the short term, I will earn a living. That to me is not important at this point in my life. What's important to me today is to finally figure out exactly who I am with 100% certainty. So my plan as I will communicate it to them is that I am taking some time off to figure out what “I” want to do in the future that will provide "me" with the greatest amount of fulfillment, inspiration, and happiness. Period!!!!!!!!!! It’s no longer solely about the money, it’s no longer about their picture of what a successful life is, and it’s no longer about going through life’s motions. It’s all about the American dream, my American dream and taking a chance at living it!

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Good for you! I wish more people felt this way. It seems that the "American Dream" has become distorted and young men and women see it as measured only in monetary gain. There's so much more to life than money!

Good luck coming out to your family. I can't wait to read more about it :)

Check out my blog if you've got some time.

Andrew

Adam said...

I was that young man, and to some extent I still am. However, with that being said, from my experience money can bring you many great things and experiences but it has never brought me true happiness. So I hope to be able to find balance in my life and begin to value myself more for who I am and what contributions I can make, and not for how many dollars I have in the bank. Thanks for the well wishes!