Friday, September 5, 2008

No Nanny, Thank You

On Wednesday night I volunteered/attended/mingled at a cocktail reception that the organization I’m participating with cosponsored with Equality California to benefit the No on Proposition 8 campaign. It was a great event where we raised some nice money and it seemed like most who attended had a great time. The event took place at The Nanny's ex-husband’s house. It was a beautiful home up in the hills. Here are two pictures, although they are of lousy quality, that I took of the view.


My one regret was that I didn’t introduce myself and get a picture with the Nanny. I adore her, even though truth be told I never watched her TV sitcom, and her laugh. (more a tribal thing than a gay thing) Nonetheless, I’ve grown to respect her through the years due to her continued activism on a number of issues.


On a personal level, last night was the type of event that I typically like to participate in. I met a number of new guys, including one of the local council members-which was fortuitous for something I’m planning. I also met a guy who I thought was pretty cute and I’m now trying to determine if he is taken. We had two really nice eye contact/smile episodes but I don’t know if it was anything more than that. He did come with another guy, so I sent an email out and I look forward to the response. (edit-he lives with the guy he came with and I was told that he is a live-in boyfriend. I will take that literally and that he is off the market. So much for my nice eye contact/smile episodes) The guys for the most part tended to skew a bit older. Which was great for the confidence because I felt like the fresh piece of meat. One of the guys I knew was even introducing me as the new guy in town and oh look at his stomach. (all in good fun but I am so not comfortable with that) And here’s one funny end to a conversation I had with a nice guy who was a bit older and whom I had no intimate interest in.
During our conversation he told me that he wasn’t drinking a stiff drink. So I said to him, “ You need to go have some fun. So go get another drink and make sure the bartender gives you a stiff one this time!” So he then commented on my use of the word stiff and then asked, “so why aren’t you drinking?” I replied, “because I’m working.” To which he ended with, “yeah, and I can’t afford you.” :-)

As an aside, I met the Nanny’s ex-husband on Wednesday night and what do you know I saw him again on Thursday at the corner of La Cienega and Santa Monica. I left such an impression that he remembered who I was. haha

And fwiw allow me to humor myself, I looked damn good at this event. :)

1 comment:

Crap Newsman said...

I love the Nanny! Along with Will & Grace it was one of only the very few sitcoms that can really make me laugh out loud. Almost all the other sitcoms are effing borefest (Two and a half-man, anyone?)