Wednesday, September 17, 2008

City of Wonder

Last week when I got home from the club during the midnight hour of early Saturday morning here in Phoenix I was really upset. Needing to talk with someone I called one of my friends in WeHo. Thankfully, he was there to answer my call.

The conversation began with me discussing my disappointment in how the night went and how I didn’t have the opportunity to compare the boys of Phoenix to the boys of WeHo. That led us into a comparative discussion about our experiences in West Hollywood. To start, I go back to a line that was communicated to me back in the spring in regards to WeHo.

“One type of mo predominates here, but you don’t have to be like that. Just appreciate them for what they are (pretty and easy to get in bed) and don’t worry if you’re not one of them.”


That quote helped reinforce for me the image that I already had of WeHo and what I thought the opportunities a move there would present for both my personal and sexual growth. Obviously and quite honestly, what I was most excited about in the short term was my sexual growth. So I am most surprised that it is my personal growth in WeHo that has left me feeling so great. Each time I have come out to a new family member or friend I have cited a litany of positive emotions in the way I have felt since arriving in WeHo. Since I believe most of them have their own image of what WeHo represents, and many of them have commented about how happy and positively different I appear to be, I’m left to laugh because I reckon that many of them think that my needs are finally being serviced now that I’ve come out and that is why I’m so happy. Little do they know. haha

So as I told my friend, WeHo has given me life. The people that I’ve met in WeHo so far have provided me with hope, and they have renewed my spirit in the many opportunities that are still out there for me yet to achieve. I believe the quality of the guys that I’ve met in WeHo is high and as such I don’t believe they would fall under, “the type of mo that predominates here.” For me, WeHo remains a City of Wonder because I’m left to wonder if I will ever meet these pretty boys who are easy to get in bed. I really want to appreciate them. haha In all seriousness, I’m looking for balance in my life. I need to find it. I must find it.

My friend on the other hand, and as I understood it, was very frustrated with his experience in WeHo because most of the guys he has met do meet the pretty and easy to get in bed criterion. He wonders whether he will ever meet a quality guy, with substance, that wants a long term relationship and is willing to move at a measured pace to get there.

So what does this all mean?

I really don’t fully know yet. I’m left to wonder if our curses will be lifted and we will be able to find what each of us is looking for in my City of Wonder.

Rihanna-”Disturbia”

No comments: