Sunday, September 7, 2008

What are the Odds?

I don’t recall if I posted anything on this, but there is this really cute guy at the gym who I've had a crush on since I first saw him back in July. (and it’s not the same guy that I recently introduced myself to in the Hello It's Nice to Meet You post) My crush is smaller (body frame), cuter, and younger. (which means I’m probably too old :( ) Nonetheless, I briefly commented to him, in the middle of August when I saw him at the gym wearing a competing University’s colors, in reference to the upcoming football season. Because I was so smitten, I contacted GB from Gay Banker to get some advice on how I should proceed. Here is part of the email I wrote to GB:

Now to my question.  (and I apologize in advance if you may have covered this in years past)  First off I am nowhere near 15, but I feel like it as I learn the ropes in the gay scene.  I have read many of your posts on the gym scene, and more specifically the lockers and sauna, but my question is relative to the gym floor.  (Due to a lack of overall experience, I haven't mustered the courage or confidence yet to step into the locker room/sauna scene at my gym)  So there is this really cute guy, although he appears to be a number of years younger, that works out the same time I do.  One of these days, with an emphasis on one of these, I would like to ask him out.  On Monday, I said something to him because we were both wearing our competing University's colors.  He responded back but a conversation didn't develop.  (we both had our ear buds on and were in the middle of our exercises)  I don't know if he is gay, but I would sure like to find out.  I already understand that I need to maintain more eye contact, as it being a key sign, but is flirting normal and okay ON the gym floor?  Would it be completely awkward, then and certainly afterward being that we both train at the same time, if I came right out and asked him out?  Is it more appropriate to try and continue to make light conversation and see what happens?


Well the not so funny thing was that I had not seen Cutie at the gym since I emailed GB a few weeks ago. Because of this I have not been able to use the advice that GB so quickly provided.

So on Thursday night, and after packing the car for my trip back to Phoenix, I joined up with my friend Ethan at a local bar around 11:15. Ethan was out with Kevin who he had just met earlier in the week and they were celebrating Kevin’s birthday with his friends. And what are the odds? Apparently Kevin is friends with the guy I have a crush on at the gym.

Cutie showed up at the bar. :-) I felt like a 10 year old school girl when I saw Cutie embrace Kevin. I went up to Ethan and told him the story and began to devise a plan to learn more. When Ethan’s date rejoined us I began to question him about Cutie. After that I made my move.

Cutie was near the bar and I went straight towards him. I mentioned that we’ve seen each other at the gym, spoke two lines together, and I wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself. He did recognize me and remembered that we spoke. :) We spoke for a little bit near the bar and made a nice wager on the upcoming football game between our two schools. Nothing materialized on Thursday and the odds of anything really happening are very slim, but at least it’s another start. I know his name, we have a nice bet which should provide the means for further conversation, and I certainly look forward to seeing him at the gym when I return.

And Ethan, you know what would make a great birthday gift. Please HELP me get a date with Z. :-) I didn’t get to sleep on Friday morning until 2:30 because I was thinking about what had just transpired having just met my gym crush. (and the meaning of him showing up on that night in particular, hmm) To harden my resolve and strengthen my conviction, on the drive back to Phoenix I got hard twice just thinking about Z. lol

I am going to ask him out when I return to WeHo! So if anyone has any suggestions or ideas on how or where to ask him, this 15 year old would certainly appreciate learning from your experience? Thanks!

and Z, this one’s for you so get ready.

Kevin Lyttle-"Turn Me On"

1 comment:

GB said...

I presume, Adam, the fact that Cutie knows Kevin confirms that Cutie is gay :-). I do find it fascinating how often it turns out that guys who gay guys fancy are also gay!

Anyway I hope you win your wager. That way, and assuming that Cutie volunteers to pay up, you'll be able to insist that you use the winnings to buy Cutie a beer after gym or something :-)

Good luck, GB xxx