Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Hello, it's nice to meet you


Yesterday I had a first. I don’t know if it will lead to anything, but I approached my first guy at the gym and introduced myself. It wasn’t in the lockers or the sauna, but out on the gym floor. Anyway, the guy works out around the same time as I on most days so I've seen him there a lot. I also have seen him out at least once at the clubs.

So he was sitting on an ab bench and appeared to be listening to his ipod. I was walking all over the gym yesterday because I was doing an ab and arm workout that comprised 12 different exercises alternating between an ab and an arm. You do one set of each for all twelve and then repeat it four times. Fun stuff!

Anyway, as I approached him I noticed that he appeared to be talking. So at that point I wasn’t sure if he was just singing along to his music or talking to someone on the phone. So I said, “are you on the phone?” He nodded in the affirmative and that was that. For the next 30 minutes I would pass by him as I moved to my different exercise stations, occasionally making eye contact, as he remained on the phone.

He finally got off his call and came right over to me. :) (I knew that because I was 20 feet behind him to the right) So I said to him, “Attending to business?” He responded, “Yes, that was my agent and we were going over a script.” So I then responded, “Cool. I just wanted to introduce myself because I’ve seen you quite a bit since I moved here, primarily here at the gym but I believe I’ve also seen you one or two times out at the clubs. I think it is foolish to be strangers.” We exchanged names, shook hands, and carried the conversation for another few lines. (we did have to get back to working out)

And that was that. For me it’s a start and I am anxious to see if, and how the conversation will proceed on subsequent interactions.

So B, it was nice to meet you! :-)

1 comment:

Ed said...

Someone's playing their A game! Hats off to you Adam