Friday, August 22, 2008

It's Nice to be Back

So on Wednesday night I was invited by a new friend to a Comedy show that his friend directed and performed in. We first met for dinner at a cool place in my neighborhood called the boulevard lounge. It was really nice to be able to talk with him and discuss how my last few weeks had gone. Coming out and all. I also brought up with him the column from THEADVOCATE that I wrote about in my last post. It was pretty interesting to get his take on it since he has been pretty active and out since he was in his teens. After dinner we were off to the show.

The show was actually pretty cool and funny. Did I also mention that it was free, had free food and free drinks. More importantly the show was an ensemble Comedy show and it had a two night run. The show was comprised of 13 different scenes, performed by a total of 26 different actors. Each scene was performed by 2 or 3 actors. As I learned later at the post party, the actors contribute to the production, ie pay for it, and then invite their “Industry” guests to the performance in the hopes of being discovered, offered jobs, or even to obtain representation. I thought it was awesome to hear that, and it was just another example of learning from others of the importance to continually invest in yourself and to follow your dreams.

Last night I met up with a guy, who I had met at the pool party I attended before I went home to Phoenix, out for drinks. It was the first time that I had gone out and met up with a guy for drinks in which I didn’t start the night out alone. :-) Unfortunately for him the night started off a bit rocky. At the first bar we met at, a place called Mark’s, a waiter knocked into him spilling a red cocktail on his white button down shirt. If that wasn’t bad enough, when we sat down and began to chat, he knocked his drink over. (boy it feels good not to be the one who is nervous...haha) Mark's was empty so we only stayed for one drink.

After the first drink we made our way down the west end of Santa Monica Blvd. where we found it to be pretty quiet. So we hoofed it back to the east side of Santa Monica Blvd. where we spent the rest of the night. After 5 weeks in WeHo, I can say with conviction that on Thursday nights, there are only two places that go off in WeHo. They are O Bar and Fubar. And last night we hit both of them.

O Bar had a great crowd. My ass was grabbed a few times and a guy thought I resembled a Kennedy and kept calling me Kennedy. (why I have no idea) The cool thing about going to a bar with a wingman, especially a very open and flirty one is this; I told him that I thought this guy was cute. So as I’m talking with another guy at the bar, out of the corner of my eye I see him go up to the cute guy. (cute guy was talking with his friends) So when my friend rejoined us at the bar I had to ask him what he was talking about with cute guy. He said he went up to cute guy and said, “my cute friend over there thinks your cute.” :) Unfortunately it was not meant to be as cute guy did not share my friends sentiment. :( As the crowd at O Bar lightened up we then went to check out Fubar.

Fubar was also packed, but it was so not my type of establishment. The only thing that happened at Fubar was that I ran into the guy who just moved into the apartment next door. I first met him and his parents before I left for Phoenix. (When we first met I thought we shared something) He moved in while I was away. When I returned on Sunday, I checked in with him to make sure that his move went okay and to ask him if there was anything that I could help him with. I also invited him to dinner sometime so we can better get to know each other. (as neighbors) So to see him out at a bar was a hoot. Suffice it to say I don’t believe he thought I was gay. If you could have seen the look on his face and his laughter that ensued when we ran into each other at Fubar.......way too funny.

2 comments:

dan said...

great post man, glad you had some fun getting back to your new town. SOunds like you are getting out, and yes the wingman thing is definitely great
too funny about that poor guy getting spilled on twice. ahhh.
and what were wearing to the bars? cargo shorts? t shirts? california is going to get you yet and you'll be out in some old faded hobie tshirt before long.. ha ha, j/k
have a good weekend. later.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time! Kinda cool that you found your neighbor out....good to have someone to walk home with, etc. Glad to hear you're feeling more confident. Keep it up! You're on a roll!