Monday, August 25, 2008

lions, and tigers, and BEARS! OH MY!

It’s a jungle out there! And for this baby gay it can still be a very scary and intimidating place.

I was extremely optimistic as the weekend began, because I thought that I had made some serious progress over the last few weeks. I was hopeful that the progress made would translate into a different fortune. So in some respects I was extremely disappointed in myself and my continued lack of action.


Friday night I had to play it simple because I had to be up early the next morning. There was a nice crowd at the bar, I talked to a few guys, and a guy bought me a drink. (which was a first without reciprocity) Beyond that the night was ho-hum and I left early and disappointed. You see there was this one guy, who resembled one of my good friends, that I thought was cute. He was talking with one of his buddies at the bar and we made eye contact. We sustained it for a few seconds and let go. I moved towards the patio to observe from a different vantage point, his backside of course. I was formulating how I was going to make my move and what I was going to say. So as soon as I finished my beer, I made my move to the bar. No sooner than the completion of my first step, cute guy and his friend left the bar for the upstairs. ARGH! I ordered my beer and then went upstairs to look for them. I found them, only to see them talking with another two guys.

On Saturday morning I awoke early to make my way to the Sunset Junction Street Festival in Silver Lake. There is an organization out here that I learned about through a friend that I have begun to participate with in an effort to help defeat Proposition 8 here in California. (for more details please see A Mile High and Equally Distant post) This organization had a booth at Sunset Junction and I helped work it throughout the morning. And by work it I mean initiate conversation with festival goers about Prop 8, ask them for their vote in defeating it, and illicit their involvement through volunteerism. It was a great experience where I learned some new things, met some nice people, and overall had a good time. When my shift was over I walked the festival where I ran into a booth being run by the LA Dept. of Health. They were providing free hepatitis shots. So after about five minutes of deliberation and assurances by the nurses that it was safe to receive a shot at a street festival, I took the plunge and got my first hepatitis A & B vaccine shot. (so for those who have suggested this to me over the past few weeks, I do actually listen and take your advice to heart)

After having such a great time at Suede a number of weeks ago, I was really excited to check it out again and see if I truly was a changed man. On Saturday night they were having a special event where Suede was being combined with, their sister and much larger club, Factory. (they are both in the same building) Well I left a little later this time, based on my past visit, and arrived at Suede at about 10:45PM. There was a huge line and it took me a half hour to get in. (major buzz kill) The reason for the line, as I learned when I was standing in it, was that Lady Gaga was going to be performing that night. I believe her one big song, and big may be a bit generous, is Just Dance. It was a neat, cultural experience to view the spectacle of a live performance in a gay dance club. Everyone was packed together like sardines. It may be very un-gay of me to say this, but I just didn’t get all the excitement. After the long line, the packed house, and the slow service at the bars, Lady Gaga only played 3 songs. Three freaking songs! After her winded set, I almost felt like gagaing. I spoke with a few guys, I didn’t dance, and once again I went home alone.

On the way home I began to feel really sad because I began to wonder what the hell was wrong with me? I got my shot, I’ve come out, I’m getting involved, I’m going out, I’m smiling, I’m meeting new people, and yet the results are the same. I have no more excuses. ARGGGGGHHHH



But you know what, the sun still came up on Sunday. In the early afternoon I was invited by a friend of mine to go check out the Sunset Junction Street Festival. I told him that I was there the day before, to which he replied, “Sunday is the day when all the gay boys go.” So who am I to say no to that. :) We take two cars, as I need to be back for a resident get-together at my apartment complex by 7:30PM, and meet at his friend’s apartment in Silver Lake. I get there and the smell of pot permeates the apartment. As I began to shit in my pants, all I could think about was what the hell did I get myself into. (fwiw, I’ve never smoked pot but I’m sure you all could have guessed that by now) SL (friend of my friend) and SL’s friend were smoking a bit before we got there and a bit while I was there. SL was a hottie, eclectic, and a bit spirited. He made us some drinks and we drank for about 45 minutes before heading down to the festival.

All I can say is that my friend and I have two very different definitions for “gay boys.” I define “gay boys” as clean cut, pretty, trendy, and somewhere between the ages of 18-25. From my experience yesterday, it appears my friend defines “gay boys” as leather daddies, bears, and those that love them over the age of 40. lol



So we arrive and our first stop is to one of the regular retail stores that fell within the closed off portion of the street leading to the festival. No this was no regular retail store, it was a toy store for the leather daddies and bears among us. And I’m sure you could guess what type of toys they were selling in there. So after two free drinks with eyes wide open, we left and made our way to the festival area. SL was certainly the eye candy to the “gay boys” at the Sunset Junction crowd. We walked around, mingled, and checked out this private party room of dancing Bears (who knew Bears danced) As the sun was setting, I knew it was time for me to go. If Fubar was so not my type of establishment on Thursday, the Sunset Junction Street Festival was sooooooooo not my type of festival. But you know what, I’m better for it in having had the experience to learn a little bit more. And what an eye opening experience it was.

I get back to my complex a half hour late for the event, but just in time to grab some dinner that they provided for the residents. I also would like to point out that I left my “No on Prop 8” sticker on that I received at the Festival. I did that for two reasons. Obviously to promote the “No on Prop 8” campaign, but also selfishly to promote myself as a mo, or at a minimum mo leaning, to the other mos that may be living at my complex.

After about 15 minutes I ran into my new neighbor. I was dead on about his reaction when I saw him out at Fubar on Thursday. He was completely shocked to see me there. We talked for a little bit at the mixer and I’m amazed at how much we have in common. (although he is quite a bit younger he was totally indifferent to the whole age thing) Anyway, we both decided to head to Here for the night. It was great to get to know him better on the long walk to the bar. And on that walk we experienced the delight of some more intelligent a-holes. We’re halfway there and this four door Mercedes slows down by us, two guys in front yelling insults and making BJ gestures. They then quickly drove off. So for me that's twice now in the five weeks that I’ve been here. If only my odds were that good in hooking up with some cute guys.

We get to the bar and it was awesome. We had a great time, had a lot of fun, and I met some new guys. (and go figure I was wearing a t-shirt, Levi knee length plaid shorts, flip flops, and my hair was casual with no product in it.) I was under dressed compared to most of the guys there, and for me that’s a new experience. :) I also ran into a whole host of guys whom I had met the night before, met on Thursday, and I’m beginning to realize that the WeHo bar/club scene is pretty small. It is also becoming apparent that guys travel in the same cliques whenever they go out. (IE, you’ll see the same guys who went out together the night before were together again) Midway through our time at Here, Neighbor’s friend showed up with his friend so then we all talked for a bit. Then I fell in love. Well not really, but let me at least pretend. He was about 6’1”, short black hair, clear white skin, with a great smile, and had an athletic physique. (as opposed to a muscler’s physique which is so common out here) He was wearing designer jeans and a tight, but not too tight, dark t-shirt with the sleeves coming to the point where the shoulder meets the tricep. He was with four other friends, all of whom were really good looking, so they appeared to be a pretty intimidating bunch. Nonetheless, we did make eye contact a few times but I had a difficult time sustaining it. I was going to say something to him. But what do you know, the same thing that happened on Friday happened again. As I’m on my way back from the bar rounding my way to their location on the patio, they’re on their way out. There is a way for me to try and find out who he is and I’m going to work on that. We’ll see what happens.

So in the span of 24 hours in the jungle of WeHo my emotions once again went for a ride. It would be nice though for something beyond my emotions to go for a ride. Then all of the tourists that visit LA, and ride around on the buses below and those that are similar, who are on their own star studded safari will really have something to watch. Adam from Stand Straight finally getting some. Now wouldn't that be a sight to see!



GNR-"Welcome to the Jungle"

3 comments:

Crap Newsman said...

The longer it is denied to you, the sweeter it will taste once you've finally achieved that which you desire the most. Don't give up, soldier!

Chino Blanco said...

Just a heads up: Mike Huckabee recently gave an interview in which he holds Mitt Romney responsible for implementing gay marriage in Massachusetts.

Video

Welcome to the ProtectMarriage.com coalition.

I wish that more rank and file members of the LDS (Mormon) church would realize: the anti-gay coalition they've joined in California is one that includes folks who - given the chance - would vote their church out of existence.

Folks like Mike Huckabee and his Evangelical buddies.

Crap Newsman said...

I knew Mitt Romney was not just a pretty face, he cares for 'mos, too. That magic cyborg underwear must be working...