Saturday, July 19, 2008

Am I Walking Yet

Or still crawling?

So on Thursday I’m getting ready to go out and lo and behold I get a call from my named twin. It has been hit and miss with him in us attempting to get together to finally meet. Since he lives in my neighborhood, and he too was planning to go out on Thursday we agreed to get together for one drink. We met up at 10:15 at this little place down the street from me. One drink led to two drinks and what do you know it’s 11:30. Suffice it to say we had a good time, great conversation, and I think I surprised him. It turns out that he is a bit older than I but nonetheless he seems like a really fun and open guy. (and for the record, I was not physically attracted to him) He was planning to go to Fubar that night and I was planning to go to O-bar. It was my understanding that these two places were the places to go to on Thursday. He kept on prodding me to go to Fubar with him and meet some of his friends. Unfortunately, I had heard about Fubar’s Thursday night event and I didn’t feel I was ready for it just yet. Despite his best efforts he understood how I felt. Before we closed our tab, he did ask me one thing. He wanted to know if he could set me up with a friend of his. To which I replied YES! It was really nice to meet my named twin and I really believe a friendship is possible here.

I get to O-bar and the place has a decent crowd. The only problem was that within 20 minutes of me arriving the crowd starts to dissipate. (I didn’t realize I was such a turnoff....haha) I have a guess that as their drink specials ended guys left. Or maybe it was a weekday and guys had work in the morning. The funny thing about my experience at O-bar on this night was that I ran into some guys I met on my trip to weho in June. Unfortunately for them my answer this time was the same as it was last time.

I had two goals for Friday night. The first was to get over my apprehension about visiting Fiesta Cantina. The second was to make the first move and approach another guy instead of waiting for someone to approach me. In the past, whenever I had walked by Fiesta the place was packed. It reminded me of a bar from college where you go to get fucked up and I was always intimidated by those crowded places. That and Fiesta is very casual. So my plan was to get there before I thought it got busy. First off, my outfit was a t-shirt, shorts, sneakers, and I had no product in my hair. Casual at last! I arrived at Fiesta around 4:45 thinking that it would get busy for their happy hour as guys get off of work. The front patio was full but the inside was empty. That surprised me. I sat down at a table just to the left of the entrance. Perfect location to view the comings and goings outside as well as all those who enter. I enjoyed one too many double margaritas when I said to myself now is the time. There were two guys who I noticed as they entered. They ended up sitting at a table behind me. I turned to them and I believe I asked them, “When does it really get busy here?” I don’t remember what they said but that was all it took. We ended up talking for quite a while. They noticed me earlier and said that they thought I was from out of town. They thought that because as one of them commented, “no one goes to gay bars alone in weho.” Except me of course. haha
They were getting ready to leave and invited me to join up with them at the Abbey. I closed out my tab and then headed over to the Abbey. The only problem was that they didn’t make it there. I canvassed the Abbey and was livid feeling like I’d been played like a fool. I left the Abbey and went looking for them at Eleven. No such luck. I then decided to make one last trek back to the Abbey when one of them waved me down from another bar on the way to the Abbey. They apologized and said that clearly they did not make it to the Abbey. I joined them for a drink and then we all went to the Abbey. We were there for a little bit when the two of them said that they were going to go and celebrate one of their birthdays. (the guy I was more attracted to) Before they left I asked for their numbers and received them. I haven’t tried calling them yet but will in the next day or so. I stayed for another drink and then went home. I drank quite a bit and passed out as soon as I got home.

Despite my continued disappointment in going out and coming home alone, although it has really only been 3 nights, I had fun yesterday and met my goals for the night. I even got two numbers. :-) However, analyzing it today I think I missed some signals. First one was when we were at Fiesta. I was leaning over their table and the one who I thought was cute, whom I told had beautiful eyes, was brushing his leg up against mine. I certainly noticed and felt it. Was that a sign or a signal? He knew how green I was so why didn’t he lead me further? Then when they left the Abbey and they clearly said they were going to celebrate one of their birthdays, was that a cue for me to say something like, “well can I come so you can unwrap your present?”

The joys of being fifteen again!

Tears For Fears-"Elemental"

1 comment:

Tim said...

"I was leaning over their table and the one who I thought was cute, whom I told had beautiful eyes, was brushing his leg up against mine. I certainly noticed and felt it. Was that a sign or a signal"

Uh yeah, that was a signal. Any personal contact is considered a signal, as was the offer to tag along. Basically you want to find someone you like, talk to them, see if you still like them and get good signals. Than try escalating with a kiss or a arm around the shoulder. Than if it still feels right find out whose place is closer.

Personally I'm not sure your ready for this though. You seem to need more time to learn the dance. But I suppose you've waited long enough. But I will warn you, if you are just picking up guys at a bar DO NOT EXPECT INTIMACY! and if you are a virgin to this whole thing your going to get really connected to the first person who you connect with and are going to feel hurt if they don't respond back with an equal passion.